Groves-Raines Architects

Lamb's House

Restoration

A-Listed Lamb’s House was built around 1610 and is one of the finest surviving examples of a Hanseatic merchant’s house in Scotland and the most significant building of its age in Leith.
Saved from demolition and partly restored, Lamb’s House was given to the National Trust for Scotland in 1958 by the 4th Marquis of Bute. The restoration was completed and interior adapted as an old people’s centre, with a modern hall extension added in the early 1960s. Despite many reincarnations over its long life, the essential character of the house remains intact.

In 2010, Groves-Raines Architects acquired the freehold of Lamb’s House and the surrounding site from The National Trust for Scotland to provide a family home and studio accommodation for their architectural practice. The new office has been constructed as an extension to the old house and it, together with the pavilion annex, is built on the site of the now demolished 60’s Hall. Central to the site is the recently completed formal Renaissance style garden, typical of the early Seventeenth Century.

Groves-Raines Architects have acted in the capacity of architect, developer and main contractor, and now occupy the whole complex as the directors’ family home and business, exactly as was the case in the early 17th Century when it was the home and business premises of Andrew Lamb.

The Lamb's House restoration project has won several awards, including:

The Sunday Times British Homes Award
for Restoration 2016

The Herald Property Award for Scotland for Best Renovation/Conversion 2016

The Scottish Design Award for Re-Use of a Listed Building 2016

You may also like

Liberton House
Johnstounburn
Belmont House
Bughtrig House
Killiehuntly Farmhouse
Fenton Tower
India Street